Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Marketing

It seemed to me that the marketing for this film let it down in a way. They had great acclaim at festivals, which is where they were picked up by Fox Searchlight. That seemed to be the primary angle they used: they played the festivals until someone picked them up and then used their awards won to try to draw the festival crowd to the box office.

If this were my film, I may do thing similarly, but the I would not leave the marketing up to Fox Searchlight once they picked it up. One of the things I would like to do with a film like this is have the stars/musicians play some musical venues and try to get them some opening gigs for bigger bands and musicians. The music in the film is really likable, so I would have explored that angle a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment